Dentures Vs. Veneers: Which Is Better For You?
If you want to have a beautiful smile you love and feel good about but need the help of a cosmetic dentist, several options can help enhance your smile.
Veneers and dentures are both ways your dentist can utilize to restore the appearance of your teeth. There are various factors to consider to ensure you make the best choice for your teeth and love the appearance of your smile.
If you are considering veneers or dentures, consulting with your dentist is essential to help you understand the differences between dentures and veneers. Below, we will tell you the advantages and disadvantages of both dental procedures to help you decide which is better for you.
What are Veneers?
Generally, veneers are applied only on teeth visible when you smile. Veneers are thin tooth-colored shells made of resin or porcelain designed by your dentist to help conceal aesthetic imperfections, such as gaps, cracks, or chips.
Veneers are not suitable for every person, especially those with more severe oral health issues such as tooth decay, gum disease, or extensive missing teeth. Most types of veneers are permanent and require patients to have existing teeth. However, a removable snap-on veneer may be a good solution if you have several missing teeth because they attach to the teeth on either side.
Different Types of Veneers
There are different types of veneer options, including temporary or permanent choices.
- Composite veneers are made of resin, require less enamel to be removed than porcelain veneers, and are less expensive. However, they are also less durable than porcelain veneers.
- Porcelain veneers are permanent and are made of translucent porcelain, which is very natural in appearance and more durable. However, installing porcelain veneers requires a significant amount of natural tooth enamel to be removed and is more expensive than other alternatives.
- Snap-on veneers are temporary and will fit over your teeth like a mouthguard. You can even put them on yourself at home, remove them when you like, and they don’t damage your teeth.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Porcelain Veneers
Veneers may be used to help restore your teeth and correct many different issues, including the following:
- Cracked or chipped teeth
- Gaps between your teeth
- Discolored or severely stained teeth
- Teeth that are too small
- “Gummy” smiles
- Sideways and crooked teeth
Veneers are the ideal way to restore teeth under specific circumstances and will create a unique, beautiful white smile and improve self-confidence.
The advantages of porcelain veneers include:
- Long lasting up to 10 years without changing unless they become damaged due to improper use
- They don’t require any special maintenance
- Porcelain veneers look amazing and feel like your natural teeth
- They restore and enhance your smile and help you to talk and chew normally
The disadvantages of porcelain veneers include:
- Your dentist will need to remove enamel to bond them to your existing teeth
- They are more expensive than other alternatives, such as dentures, which cost around $250 to $1,500 per tooth, while snap-on veneers run around $570 per set.
What are Dentures?
Dentures are most often used when patients have one or more missing teeth. Modern dentures differ significantly from those our grandparents and parents had and are made of lighter materials with a more natural look and feel.
Different Types of Dentures
There are various types of dentures, including the following:
- Partial dentures, which can replace one or several teeth and attach to existing teeth
- Implant-retained dentures that attach to implant posts and are often called snap-in dentures are removable but more stable than using adhesive to secure your dentures.
- Implant-supported dentures are permanent dentures that need to be attached to an implant and can only be removed by your dentist.
- Full dentures are ideal when all the lower or upper teeth need replacement. The two full denture options are conventional and immediate. Traditional dentures may be used once your mouth heals from removing your teeth, and immediate dentures may be used the same day.
Getting dentures will require more than one visit because your dentist must make an impression on your teeth to create a mold for the restoration.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Dentures
Dentures costs range from $500 to $1500 for partial and up to $3,500 for complete dentures without insurance and remain an excellent option for anyone missing one or more teeth.
The advantages of dentures include:
- Restoring your smile and replacing missing teeth, even if it is an entire row
- Your teeth don’t need to be healthy before you get them
- They are less expensive than veneers
The disadvantages of dentures:
- Your dentures will need to be updated and refitted every 1 to 2 years
- You may need adhesive to hold them in place
- They will need to be removed at night
Alternative to Veneers and Dentures
To get the smile of your dreams, you can also consider some other dental treatment options for missing teeth, cracked or chipped teeth, discolored and stained teeth, or to restore your teeth and minimize significant gaps.
- Dental implants are combined with fake teeth, such as bridge crowns, placed into your jaw and can support dentures.
- Dental bridges can fill a gap created by a missing tooth. Your teeth must be healthy on both sides of the missing one to get a dental bridge. Dental bridges do not require any surgery. However, you may still experience a little discomfort.
- Professional teeth whitening is an excellent choice if your teeth are discolored or stained—For patients with severe staining and discoloration, porcelain veneers are a perfect option.
To get a smile you love that is beautiful and bright, talk to your dentist or consult an expert cosmetic dentist to help determine whether veneers or dentures are best for you.
Carrie Muzny, DDS in The Woodlands: Your Best Smile Solution!
At Carrie Muzny DDS, our highly experienced dentists provide exceptional dentistry care for the entire family. We offer restorative and cosmetic dentistry, surgeries, porcelain veneers, professional teeth whitening, and preventative dentistry.
Our skilled team of exceptionally trained dentists utilize modern techniques and practice kindness and compassion with all our patients to ensure you receive the best quality care and desired results.
Contact us today to book an appointment or a consultation to enhance your smile and improve your oral health.