Considering DIY Teeth Whitening? Think Again!
When you look in the mirror at your teeth and dream of having a bright, white smile, you probably have considered doing a DIY teeth whitening treatment as one of the options.
You most likely know more than one person who has whitened their teeth using some DIY teeth whitening method, whether it was an over-the-counter tooth whitening treatment or another at-home DIY teeth whitening method.
Unfortunately, many of these DIY teeth whitening options cause damage to your teeth, including creating tooth sensitivity, gum irritation, chemical burns, and enamel erosion. Below, we will look deeper into the risks of doing a DIY teeth whitening treatment and why the best idea is to get a professional teeth whitening treatment from your dentist instead.
Most Common DIY Teeth Whitening Treatments That May Damage Your Teeth
Many people want to save money and consider trying a quick DIY tooth whitening treatment when their teeth show signs of discoloration. Saving money is excellent; however, the risk may not be worth it. Here are some common methods people have tried to achieve a whiter smile.
#1. Hydrogen Peroxide and Baking Soda
Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide are both whitening agents, and it is a common misconception that you can use them directly on the teeth. Unfortunately, when applied, these substances can irritate your gums, inflame the soft tissue in your mouth, and damage the enamel on your teeth.
#2. Baking Soda and Lemon Juice
Lemon juice and baking soda are known for their whitening abilities; however, the acid in lemon juice can erode tooth enamel and lead to further discoloration. Baking soda is an abrasive substance that can lead to tooth sensitivity, damaging tooth enamel, and other issues when used excessively.
#3. Charcoal Toothpaste
A trendy DIY tooth whitening method that has grown in popularity in recent years is charcoal toothpaste. Charcoal is known to help absorb toxins and stains, but it is also very abrasive and can scrap away your tooth enamel, leaving your teeth more sensitive.
#4. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is very acidic, and using it to brush your teeth or rinse your mouth can cause irreversible enamel loss when putting it directly on your teeth.
#5. Over-the-Counter Teeth Whitening Treatments
Whether at the grocery store or the corner pharmacy, you have most likely noticed familiar brands that make DIY teeth whitening products. It is a common misconception that products are safe because they are sold in stores.
However, most over-the-counter bleaching products contain a high concentration of chemicals that may lead to tooth sensitivity and some irritation. Another concern is that if the chemicals can enter your tooth’s nerve chamber through a crack, filling a cavity, you can also cause severe discomfort and require an immediate dental appointment.
#6. Apple Cider Vinegar
You may notice a reduction of staining on your teeth when you use apple cider vinegar as a mouthwash; however, you may also see an increase in tooth sensitivity or damage to your tooth enamel. Not to mention, the taste is robust and may be unpleasant for most people.
We highly recommend seeing your dentist for a professional teeth whitening treatment rather than using this method to avoid damaging your teeth.
Benefits of Professional Teeth Whitening
The most effective and safest way to whiten teeth is to make an appointment with your dental provider for a professional teeth whitening treatment.
The benefits of getting your teeth whitened professionally include the following:
- Professional Application and Monitoring. When your teeth are professionally whitened, it is more effective and safer, and the results last longer. Your dentist can immediately address any issues during treatment and ensure you avoid damaging your teeth and gums.
- Optimal Results and the Perfect Shade of White for Your Teeth. Having your teeth professionally whitened will give you optimal results, and your dentist will help you choose the perfect shade of white for your teeth.
- Your Teeth Will Stay Whiter Longer. Getting your teeth professionally whitened will give you immediate results that will dramatically improve the appearance of your smile. Your teeth will stay whiter for extended periods, saving time and money.
- Your Dentist Will Customize Your Treatment Plan. Your dentist will be able to ensure you address any underlying dental issues contributing to the discoloration of your teeth discoloration before getting your teeth whitening procedure.
- You Will Receive a Personalized Follow-Up Treatment Plan. Your dentist will ensure you know how to care for your teeth to ensure they stay whiter and brighter for as long as possible. The recommendations may include regular checkups, teeth cleanings, and personalized advice to help you better care for your beautiful smile.
Talk with your dentist beforehand to find out how to prepare for your professional teeth whitening treatment.
Experience Professional Whitening for Your Perfect Smile with Carrie Muzny DDS!
At Carrie Muzny DDS in the Woodlands area, our highly trained dentists utilize modern dentistry techniques and offer restorative and cosmetic dentistry, surgical procedures, professional teeth whitening and porcelain veneers, and preventative dentistry for the whole family.
We treat all of our patients with kindness and compassion to ensure you are comfortable during your visit and will create a personalized treatment plan to help you achieve optimal oral health and have a smile you love. Contact us today to book an appointment or consultation for exceptional dental care.