Veneers Vs. Teeth Whitening: Which Option Is The Best For A Brighter Smile?
A beautiful smile is one of the first things people see when we greet them. Over time, our teeth are exposed to a wide range of drinks and food that can cause them to become discolored, leaving you feeling self-conscious or wishing your teeth had a youthful, whiter, brighter appearance.
You can have the beautiful, brighter, whiter smile you’ve always dreamed of; the two most common options are professional teeth whitening or veneers.
Both are good options; however, veneers serve more than just whitening your teeth. Depending on your oral health condition, your dentist can help you determine which method best serves your overall health needs. If you’re ready to have whiter, brighter teeth and are looking at whether teeth whitening or veneers are suitable for you, keep reading, and we will review both methods’ pros, cons, and purposes.
Causes of Tooth Discoloration
The most common causes of tooth discoloration include the following:
- Eating foods and drinking beverages that have a darker pigment, such as tea, coffee, wines, soda, and certain fruits and vegetables
- Smoking and tobacco use
- Poor oral hygiene habits, such as not brushing properly, flossing, or rinsing after consuming foods or drinks with darker-colored pigments
- Certain diseases that affect tooth enamel
- Certain medications like doxycycline and tetracycline
- Aging can lead to tooth enamel wearing away on your teeth
- Genetics can cause thicker or naturally brighter enamel
- Environmental issues such as excessive fluoride may cause white spots called fluorosis
- Trauma to the teeth
- Tooth decay can cause tooth discoloration
Professional Teeth Whitening
These days, getting your teeth whiter and brighter has never been easier, thanks to new methods of professional teeth whitening treatments. While DIY tooth whitening kits are sold in many stores and are affordable, professional teeth whitening yields better results. It’s more cost-effective in the long run. The primary purpose of professional teeth whitening is to give the patient a brighter, whiter smile.
Pros Of Professional Teeth Whitening
Professional teeth whitening is an excellent solution for many people who want a brighter, whiter smile and is a relatively fast procedure that usually only takes about an hour for incredible results.
When your teeth are whitened professionally, your dentist can help you choose the best shade to most closely match your teeth.
Professional teeth whitening is also:
- Less invasive than alternative options
- More affordable than other cosmetic dental treatments
- It is highly effective for most patients and offers instantaneous results
Cons Of Teeth Whitening
Teeth whitening isn’t an option for every patient, and there are a couple of situations in which it is not as effective, including the following:
- While teeth whitening works exceptionally well for yellowing teeth, it can also be challenging to achieve optimal results for teeth that are brown or gray.
- Teeth whitening only addresses the color of your teeth and will not change any structural or teeth shipping issues that need to be addressed.
- Teeth whitening only works on natural teeth and will not work on bonding materials such as feelings or crowns.
- Teeth whitening agents may cause sensitivity or irritation for some patients, although your dentist will take precautions to protect your gums.
The technology and advancements have made dental veneers an excellent option for whiter teeth, with many other benefits for oral health. Veneers are thin, porcelain shells placed on the tooth’s surface, and the primary purpose is to alter the tooth’s shape, color, and position.
Pros of Porcelain Veneers
- Porcelain veneers help to correct issues such as chipped or cracked teeth, change the size or shape of a tooth, and straighten crooked teeth.
- Porcelain veneers can fix gaps and even out the spacing of your teeth
- Porcelain veneers are very durable, look natural, and are stain-resistant
- Your dentist can custom-fit porcelain veneers so that they match your natural teeth
- Porcelain veneers are durable when properly cared for and may last you up to 20 years
Cons of Porcelain Veneers
- Porcelain veneers are not the best option for patients with severe health issues, such as weak teeth or severe decay or damage.
- Porcelain veneers are a more expensive option than other teeth-whitening alternatives.
- The porcelain veneer process takes a couple of weeks to complete
- Veneers are a more invasive option than other whitening treatments; however, if you have other dental issues that need to be addressed in years, they may be the best option for you
For All Of You Restorative, Preventative, And Cosmetic Needs, Call Carrie Muzny, DDS In The Woodlands Area
At Carrie Muzny DDS, we love helping our patients maintain and restore their oral health and have a smile they love! Professional teeth whitening and porcelain veneers are just one of our many services to help our patients have a beautiful, whiter smile.
Our highly trained dentists provide exceptional, compassionate care to all our patients. We provide Preventative and Restorative Dentistry, Professional Teeth Whitening, Cosmetic Dentistry, Surgery, and Preventive Dentistry for the whole family in the Woodlands area. Our expert team uses modern techniques and technology to ensure our patients receive excellent results.
Contact us today to schedule an appointment or consultation, and we will work with you to help improve your oral health and have the fantastic smile you love.