What can cosmetic bonding do for my smile?
Your smile is one of your best assets. It can help you meet a new friend, land a great job or just show the world your personality without saying a word. Unfortunately, accidents can happen and you may chip or crack a tooth. Or maybe you want a whiter, straighter smile. Luckily, instead of feeling self-conscious about the current state of your teeth, there are fast and easy dental options that can help restore your smile or make your current one shine brighter than ever.
Cosmetic bonding is a fast, single-visit dental treatment where your dentist uses cosmetic resin materials and bonds them directly onto your teeth. This cosmetic resin is also molded into the right shape to fit your mouth.
What issues can cosmetic bonding fix?
- Fractured/cracked teeth
- Irregularly shaped or chipped teeth
- Discoloration and decay
- Short teeth
- Exposed roots
- Tooth sensitivity in bonded areas
Now that you know what cosmetic bonding fixes, you may be wondering what a typical appointment is like. Let’s look at the benefits of cosmetic dentistry beyond just what it fixes.
What are the benefits of cosmetic bonding?
- Cosmetic bonding can be done in ONE visit to your dentist as it is a simple procedure, unlike crowns or veneers that can take months to get manufactured in a lab.
- No need for anesthesia or gas during your appointment. A local numbing agent is only needed when tooth decay is detected in the patient’s teeth.
- No pain is involved compared to other, more invasive procedures, so you can sit back and relax during your appointment while your dentist sculpts your new smile.
- Color matching the resin to your actual teeth makes cosmetic bonding look very natural – no one will be able to tell you’ve had it done.
- Preserves your tooth enamel – Since your tooth enamel protects the layers of your teeth, bonding helps keep that enamel from getting damaged.
- The bonding material is very durable and long lasting, so you don’t have to worry about chipping or cracking more than a normal tooth. Be aware that it can stain, so make sure to keep up your normal brushing routines.
- Cosmetic bonding can last between 4-10 years before it would need to be touched up or replaced.
- It is a fantastic and affordable way to make over your smile as it is much less expensive than porcelain veneers and lasts almost as long.
- Bonding goes over your tooth enamel and does not damage it. Unlike veneers, your dentist won’t remove any of your enamel.
- Your teeth will remain intact as cosmetic bonding does not require your teeth being filed down. Compared to the process of getting veneers, in which your dentist will make permanent changes to the look of your tooth by filing it down, cosmetic bonding is much less dramatic and won’t permanently alter your teeth’s look.
- Plus, a little boost to your confidence!
What can I expect at my appointment?
Now that you are ready to get cosmetic bonding done, let’s go over what you can expect the day of your appointment!
- You will arrive at the dentist with clean, flossed teeth (if you are due for a cleaning, get one done before your bonding appointment.)
- Your dentist will select a color that matches your teeth and prepare the bonding resin. The resin is putty-like and it can be molded into the desired shape for your exact teeth.
- Your dentist will use a tool to roughen the surface of your tooth so the resin sticks to your teeth better.
- Then they will apply the resin to your teeth and mold it into shape. After smoothing it down, the dentist will shine a UV light that will harden the resin in seconds.
- Lastly, your dentist will smooth out the resin until it looks and feels natural to you.
To summarize all the great benefits of this treatment, cosmetic bonding can be done usually within one appointment with your dentist, is affordable, can fix most minor to moderate problems with your teeth’s look and can last for years to come.
The benefits of cosmetic bonding are truly awesome. Why sit and wish for a better smile while hiding your teeth from the world? Investing in yourself and your smile is an act of self care and it can help not only boost your confidence, but help you make great impressions no matter where you go!
Want to improve your smile?
Carrie Muzny DDS and Associates offer the highest-quality dental services for our patients in The Woodlands and surrounding areas. Our highly acclaimed dentists are not only exceptionally trained in modern preventative techniques, but also have attained academic honors and continue to refine their craft year after year in preventative dentistry, restorative dentistry, surgical procedures, and cosmetic dentistry.
With our state-of-the-art technology and vast range of smile-perfecting procedures, we stay atop the field and deliver smiles as sunny as the state of Texas!